Monday, August 20, 2012

Chefs wEE Love: Amanda Cohen, Dirt Candy (East Village)

Chef Amanda Cohen, Dirt Candy
Photo: Stephen Elledge
A Creative, Chic Way to Eat Your Vegetables - Eat Dirt Candy
by Alexi Melvin, Contributing Writer 

Chef Amanda Cohen's rebellious preparation of vegetables has taken Manhattan by storm, in the form of Dirt Candy, her restaurant in the East Village. The restaurant is small, chic and inviting. The dim purple lighting and simple decor give it a modern twist. As diners enjoy Chef Cohen’s creations, they can watch the culinary artist at work a mere ten feet away from their tables. Also, to add to her superpowers of being a masterful chef and restaurant owner, she is releasing her first cookbook tomorrow, Dirt Candy: A Cookbook: Flavor-Forward Food from the Upstart New York City Vegetarian Restaurant

Dirt Candy: A Cookbook
Photo: Clarkson Potter
The appetizers and entrees at Dirty Candy are named after their defining ingredients. During my recent visit to Dirt Candy, I was presented with the "Pepper" dish; a yellow pepper soup with smoky red pepper mousse and jalapeno chips. The "Tomato" dish was my favorite. Smoked feta enveloped in a tomato cake, cherry tomato leather, and a spring herb puree. Finally, I enjoyed the "Bean" dish, an addition to the menu that I did not notice on their website before visiting. A very pleasant surprise! Coconut tofu over green beans, accompanied by rice cookies with a bean mousse inside. Everything was absolutely delicious and unique to my tastebuds.

Pepper!
Yellow pepper soup with red pepper mousse
and jalapeno chips
In our interview, Chef Cohen talks veggies, and gives us the scoop on being the Chef/Owner of one of the top rated vegetarian restaurants in NYC.

First of all, tell us where the name "Dirt Candy" came from.
It’s a restaurant-eat-restaurant world out there so I wanted a name that people would remember. Plenty of places go for the random assemblage of letters and numbers (SPX 12), there’s the proper noun name (Fork, Table, Salt), the foreign word name (Mangia, Voltare, Kishu), and there’s the name name (Mary Anne’s, Thompson’s). I wanted something different, and since vegetables are candy from the dirt, I figured that Dirt Candy would be memorable, at the very least, even if people hated it. Now I’m seeing it pop up everywhere online as a reference to vegetables.

Tomato!
Smoked feta in a tomato cake, cherry tomato leather, spring
herb puree
How would you describe Dirty Candy to someone who isn't necessarily a "foodie?"
It’s a vegetable restaurant that doesn’t care about your politics, your health, or what you had for lunch. At Dirt Candy, the only thing we care about is cooking great vegetables.

So many people don't have enough appreciation for vegetables. Why are vegetables so important and unique to you as a chef?
Vegetables are the Wild West of cooking right now. No one is doing anything with them. Lots of people are cooking offal, and game, and seafood, but no one is just focusing exclusively on vegetables. The bad part about that is that I’m not considered “cool” by the press, but that’s far outweighed by the awesome part of that, which is that I’m on this roller coaster all alone, no one telling me what I can and can’t do, no one arguing with me, or telling me the “proper” way to do anything. Dirt Candy is my laboratory and every day I get to experiment a little more, pushing the boundaries of what can be done with vegetables.

Inside Dirt Candy
Photo: Michael Harlan Turkell
Were there certain moments throughout your career that served as inspiration for the concept of Dirt Candy?
Not to sound totally selfish, but Dirt Candy was made just for me. I’ve been cooking professionally for close to 15 years and over that time I’ve worked for, or consulted on, a lot of restaurants in New York City. In all that time I learned a lot, some of it about what NOT to do and a lot of it about what worked and what didn’t on the plate. I became convinced that there was a huge hole in the market where people who just wanted good vegetables weren’t being served. So Dirt Candy was the first time I could put my theories into action, and not listen to anyone else who was peddling conventional wisdom. Fortunately, I’ve turned out to be at least half right.

Your menu is constantly changing, but which few dishes would you say you have been the most proud of?
You’re asking me to choose between my children! But the most popular dishes over the years have been the Stone-ground Grits with Tempura Poached Egg, the Portobello Mousse with Truffled Toast and Pear & Fennel Compote, and the Cauliflower and Waffles with Horseradish Sauce. And people keep asking me when we’re going to bring back the Candied Grapefruit Pops.

Dirt Candy, street view
Photo: Michael Harlan Turkell
Is there a certain type of crowd that usually visits the restaurant, or is it a mixed bag?
I’ve been really lucky to have a mixed crowd here. I’d say about half my customers are people who are either vegetarian or vegan, but the other half are people who just like good food.

What are your top three favorite restaurants in the city? 
I really love Legend, a Sichuan place on Seventh Avenue that serves my favorite Chinese food in Manhattan right now. Going to Brooklyn scares me, plus I’m lazy, but La Vara in Cobble Hill does fried food like nobody’s business. Their fried artichokes and the crispy chickpeas alone were worth the trip. And whenever I’m feeling fancy, Dovetail on the Upper West Side is the place to go. It always feels like a special Sunday dinner with Mom and Dad, which is not a bad thing. Sometimes it’s really nice to pull on your big girl pants and be an adult having a super-mature, sophisticated meal.

Who are some other chefs that you admire?
Most of the chefs who inspire me, or who mean a lot to me, aren’t the famous ones. The people who have changed my career and my life have been the other women working in professional kitchens who I’ve had the privilege of working alongside. You won’t read about them in a magazine, but people like Glory Mongin and Debbie Lee really changed how I work and the way I approach food.

After competing on Iron Chef America, are there any other TV shows that you'd be interested in appearing on?
I’m not built for reality TV. It takes me a long time and a lot of experimentation to get a dish the way I want it. But if they ever have challenges that last 3 months, let me know. That’s about my speed.

What are some of your guilty pleasures?
I’m incapable of feeling guilty about pleasure.

When you aren't cooking, what are you doing?
Sleeping.

Which cities in the world that you've visited have the best food?
I think you can find great food anywhere, but Hong Kong is where I really fell in love with vegetables.

If you were stranded on an island and could only have three food staples with you, what would you choose?
I’d choose to have tequila and triple sec (I’m counting that as one item), limes, and a gun. That way I could have a really, really nice margarita and then shoot myself. I don’t want to be stranded on a desert island!

If you could invite any celebrity to dine at your restaurant, who would it be?
President Obama, because…are you kidding me? He’s the president!



         ______________________________________________________________________


Alexi Melvin is a writer and an actress in NYC. She graduated from the prestigious Lee Strasberg Institute, and is currently getting her Bachelors Degree in Liberal Arts at The New School. Her passions include classic films, musical theatre, discovering great restaurants and traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment